May Nature Happenings
- May 4: New Moon
- May 18: Full Moon
- View the Current Moon Phase below.
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and Baltimore Orioles return early in the month.
- Black fly season begins.
- Indigo Buntings, Gray Catbirds, and Scarlet Tanagers return.
- Courtship activities begin for Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, and Baltimore Orioles.
- Chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, juncos, cardinals, Blue Jays and Downy Woodpecker begin nest-building and egg-laying activities.
- Peak of warbler migration. Watch for the possibility of Pine Warblers at your birdfeeder.
- Broad-winged and Sharp-shinned Hawk migration at its peak early in month.
- Watch for an early brood of fledgling Mourning Doves.
- Pink Lady Slippers, Painted Trillium, and Bunchberry are in bloom.
- Northern Mockingbirds can be heard singing through the night into early summer.
- Painted and Snapping Turtles are moving to dry land to lay their eggs; look for them crossing roads.
- Peak of bird courtship. Listen for the morning chorus.
- In early morning or just at dusk, listen for the flute-like songs of the Wood Thrush or Hermit Thrush.
- Native sparrows continue to migrate through yards.
Print this page and hang it on your fridge to refer to all month long!
Current Moon Phase